Replace halogen headlight with LED/Xenon

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant

Rob H
Passat model: b8

Replace halogen headlight with LED/Xenon

Post by Rob H » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new here - thought you might be able to help. I have just bought a GT estate 2016 DSG. Wanted the led/xenon headlights but couldnt find one in the night blue I was looking for. Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the halogen headlight with the led/xenon without complicated rewiring? I was hoping that its plug and play?

Any info much appreciated!

Rob

smilie121
B4
Passat model: B8 GT DSG 230bhp

Re: Replace halogen headlight with LED/Xenon

Post by smilie121 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 am

Hi Rob

Same story as me with my 2016 GT DSG

I had varying responses if it was possible. Most garages i spoke to said it cannot be done including VW themselves. The ones that said yes basically admitted they would "have a go". There are second-hand headlights available so it must be do-able right?.

The lights need to be programmed to the car (matched VIN details) and then the car itself needs to understand it has the different lights (self level, LED DRL, LED turn and auto dim and connection to lower LED fog lights etc). There are blocks or ballasts that are sometimes sold with the LED lights and I believe this is the tech that speaks to the car's ECU. Often headlights are sold without them and I think this is because some folk just want to replace broken headlights on their existing LED setup and already have the tech which is matched to their car.

I did a thread about it a year ago and included a link where a guy chopped loads of cables and did some re-wiring and got it to work 90% similar which is what I am assuming you found.

After 3-4 months doing my homework, I eventually gave up and installed HID's ... which are in fact brighter (55watt version) but don't look as good as the LED's head on. Look at the threads in my signature for more info to save me repeating anything.

Lastly someone on here found chinese copy LED headlights that are plug n play for £700 i believe. With ebays money back guarrantee it might be worth the gamble and report back? If anyone were local and bought them I would even be willing to install for free just to know and see.

Rob H

Post by Rob H » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi Smilie

Thanks for reply. So - if you purchase lights with the ballasts then they should be compatible? There is an aftermarket product on ebay from China - approx. £600 but that is expensive and seems a risk.

I changed the taillights on a 2010 Golf GTD to led version no problem so assumed it was as simple as that (didn't do it myself obviously!).

And what are the HID lights? Do you mean changing the bulb for a brighter one on the fogs and headlights?

I want to do it as I think the leds and xenons make the car look better and give much greater visibility in the dark.

Cheers

Rob

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Look at the links in my signature below for HID and LED details - save me repeating myself (and on a phone at the moment).

All the electronic stuff in the car is coded with the cars vin number and also how to use said device. Rear lights may be just off and on when brake applied. However front headlights have self leveling, LED DRL dims or goes off when turn signal is activated and communicates with the fogs too. Car needs to have this programmed in for it to work the device correctly.

At the moment your passat is programmed for halogens and will monitor voltage to your front bulbs and can detect a failed bulb. DRL's dont dim or go off when turn signal is activated.

So if you swap headlights you can see where the communication is going to break down and the car will throw up warnings on the dashboard.

Rob H

Post by Rob H » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Not sure why a car with rear leds doesn't have front leds and xenons as standard!

Are you able to post links to the kits that you bought please? I will probably go down that route as well.

Kind regards

Rob

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Everything in my car is LED except front headlights also - really wound me up.

There are lots of half decent to decent HID kits on both amazon and ebay. Look for " hid h7r 55 " on either site.

This is what I got and who I got it from on ebay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55w-HID-Term ... SZ3PrEVTXg

5000k for white as can be and its canbus so no errors. If you get a different kit it MUST BE H7R otherwise you will blind oncoming drivers and fail MOT.

There are cheaper HID 55watt kits but tend to be supplied with 35watt bulbs as the ballasts only put out 40-45watts. Look it up. Avoid. Also lookup 35 watt versus 55watt - bit of a different especially if your wanting max output.

If you want to spend more than £50 look at the pictures carefully and you will find there are many of the same products for higher prices so don't get caught out there. I settled on what I chose after a fair bit of homework.

For DRLs look up: " W21W 7440 cree " - they are only running lights so disregard any claim for million watts and lumens . Such an example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-50w-T20-W ... SwXtNaUpNR - i installed these for someone recently and are just as good if not a tad bit nicer than the ones i have.

For the Fogs lookup " H8 LED philips " - you can get the genuine philips for £100 or a Chinese version like I got which I am still happy with. Lots to choose from. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH A FAN - it will be old hat and is superseded. As stated in my post about upgrading, the new philips LED is far brighter than CREE and runs ALOT cooler.

I have not yet done my main beam so cannot recommend at present. I think I may just invest in genuine Philips and if / when I do i will post back.

Rob H

Post by Rob H » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks that is all really helpful.

I am not able to do the work myself, if I had the headlights, fogs and drl done at the same time do yo u know how long this may take?

I called an auto electrician today and they said £50 per hour .

Cheers for passing on your research!

Rob H

Post by Rob H » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:22 pm

Smilie have you seen these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290475 ... 6cd24Tm1Jn

I contacted them and they said the product was plug and play and doesn't throw up fault codes.

Considering trying these

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:43 pm

Yes - I believe those are the type that I saw on eBay - someone here posted them in a thread. Take a look on the forum.

I have seen a 2 or 3 Passats now with led lights which light up differently to expected OEM and they are probably these.

With original OEM headlights looking like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-B8 ... Swz5hb03py

You'd want to replace the DRL / Fog lights with these ...... at additional expense https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-GT ... SwFu1b4GOX

Personally, I would fit them myself if I invested in them but everyone's skillset/experience is different. £50 an hour seems to be typical of most but you can get a few at £35 / £40 who know their stuff. Garage location and their overheads have a say in their final price.

Ivor
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Post by Ivor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 am

As a mot tester I would like to point out a few things.
There's now a fail for headlamp bulb/light source and lamp being incompatible.
Most led/hid headlamps are required by law to to have a cleaning device ie washer.
Hid/led headlamps are required by law to to have a automatic level device.
Aftermarket hid very rarely produce a satisfactory beam pattern and will either dazzle oncoming traffic or not light up the road ahead properly.
My advice is don't do it, save yourself a lot of problems.

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T6 Caravelle

Post by dubber36 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:58 am

Ivor wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:25 am
As a mot tester I would like to point out a few things.
There's now a fail for headlamp bulb/light source and lamp being incompatible.
Most led/hid headlamps are required by law to to have a cleaning device ie washer.
Hid/led headlamps are required by law to to have a automatic level device.
Aftermarket hid very rarely produce a satisfactory beam pattern and will either dazzle oncoming traffic or not light up the road ahead properly.
My advice is don't do it, save yourself a lot of problems.
I'm glad that you said "most"

Anything producing more than 2000 lumens needs auto leveling and washers. My Amarok has factory HID headlights, but rather than have to engineer washers and auto leveling, VW fitted lower output 25W bulbs.

My question to MOT testers is, seeing as you don't measure light output, just the beam pattern, if the HID or LED hardware is tucked out of sight, how can it be deemed a fail if the pattern is correct?
2004 V6 TDI gone and replaced with a 2011 TDI Sport DSG which has gone too.

Ivor

Post by Ivor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:20 am

Beam pattern & light output is checked with approved equipment, and a visual assment is made on the wiring and light colour.
Hid/led lamps are a different colour & easy to spot by an experienced tester, who will figure it out in short order.

smoky
B1

Post by smoky » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:56 pm

Ivor wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:20 am
Beam pattern & light output is checked with approved equipment, and a visual assment is made on the wiring and light colour.
Hid/led lamps are a different colour & easy to spot by an experienced tester, who will figure it out in short order.
Never seen any tester measuring light output with any devices, mine always checks beam pattern and if needs to will adjust at MOT, but I will agree they are easier to spot by most people who know a thing or two about cars not just so called experienced tester , you not going to like this but it must be joy going for MOT where you work :roll:

Ivor

Post by Ivor » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Working is a real joy only spoilt by smart bum presenters who believe that they know a great deal more than they actually do!
Personally I'm glad that the standard's regarding diy headlamp convertions as almost all are unsatisfactory in either light output or beam pattern, and just for information all approved test equipment is fitted with a light meter that can be used to check light output.
Testers must test to the manual as issued by the Department of Transport, not making up there own standards.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 pm

I think the idiots have ruined it for everyone, i like modifying but i also like doing it safely and properly.

All these blue light and LED/HID in reflectors blinding bellends have caused a regs change that punishes everyone equally not just the offenders.

NEITHER HID NOR LED SHOULD BE IN REFLECTORS, period, i used to think H7R etc were ok but theyre not.

I do huge miles and i am beyond sick of blinding selfish tools on the road.

On my T5 Ive got retrofit h1 (proper high/low) HID projectors in switchback led shrouds (proper dim drl on main beam, but in the original reflector headlight housings (no longer using reflector). Beam pattern correct, good illumination from all thats neccesary (with 4600k 35W bulbs and morimoto ballasts). Cant wait to see how it gets on at mot!

I wanted to fit morimoto m-led projectors but with all the uncertainty i cant risk the cost).

Some testers stick to the rules, some seem to exercise a little judgment if the lights are modified sensibly.

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 pm

I've just bought a T6 Caravelle and need to do something with it's headlights. Factory LEDs are out of the question, so I was considering fitting bi-xenon projectors with a HID kit, then having LEDs in the main beam chambers for flashing duties all inside the factory twin halogen lights.

Do these retro fit projectors simply fix through the original bulb hole?

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Deep pockets for a Caravelle! Im not keen on the T6 restyle. I dont want to bear bad news if you bought new but the T6.1 restyle (restyle of a restyle of a restyle lol) is landing in showrooms imminently.

Yes the retrofit projectors mount to original bulb holes, however you have to take the front lens off first :)

This is the original T5 headlight but exact same procedure (needs a clean oven basically) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS4QAPyy1Dw

Check out the Morimoto M-LED : https://emtuning.co.uk/product/bi-led-m ... m-led-rhd/

For projectors yes there are lots of cheap ones, but I strongly advise stick to the likes of the Morimoto mini H1 V7, and the XB35 ballasts, their stuff aint cheap but it is the best for a good reason.

I was just in a VW van centre getting my horrid work Crafter its MOT, looking at a Caravelle with the poptop I thought what an odd spec mix, radar sensor on the front, higher spec entertainment system, caravelle high spec seats, yet NON body colour door handles and basic heater controls (NO climatronic), oh and a ridiculous price tag!

Much as I love the vans, I hate the scene nonsense overpriced nature of some things and getting bits.

Ill look at options Ive seen aftermarket higher spec headlights advertised somewhere, if I can help with any Transporter stuff just PM me I'll try to be of help (T6 is more or less STILL the same van/chassis as my T5 :) )

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:29 pm

My Velle is getting on for a year old, so quite a bit cheaper than a new one. Still quite a lot granted, but when I looked at the price of nice spec 5.1's, especially the Business Edition, my money should be safe.

The one you saw may have been an SE. Mine is an Executive (fortunately it doesn't have that badge) so has about all spec it could have, except for decent lights. Transporter HQ do a halogen projector headlight with LED DRLs. The problem there is the projector is dipped beam only with a reflector chamber for main beam. I can't find out if these lights can come apart to be able to swap the projectors for ones like you have.