MOT just done with HID upgrade

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm

smilie121
B4
Passat model: B8 GT DSG 230bhp

MOT just done with HID upgrade

Post by smilie121 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm

This is just an update about the HID upgrade that I did to my non-LED headlights:

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewto ... 33&t=94125

Some folk believed it would fail an MOT but today my car had its very first MOT and it passed with not even an advisory ... and also ZERO emissions with it being remapped to 230 bhp

I asked about the lights and he said they were well within the limits and still not had anyone flash me.

So this is for anyone considering the upgrade but put off by the potential of it failing an MOT

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: MOT just done with HID upgrade

Post by Gazwould » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Many things will pass an mot , but on some forums certain people just cry "illegal" all day long .

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Re: MOT just done with HID upgrade

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Its largely down to the tester, their experience, their discretion. My current aftermarket headlights were rejected because I had HID in the low beam projectors, the Halfords centre I used is very strict to the rules.

Ill have my high/low HID retrofit projectors fitted by next mot (On my T5), with switchback DRL/indicator shrouds (with beam on DRL dimming per the regs). Theyre proper HID projectors designed to be retrofitted into reflector headlights, that will be an interesting one to see about.