Wind noise

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm

bertj
B1
Passat model: B8

Wind noise

Post by bertj » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm

My b8 estate seems to have developed a very marked wind noise. It seems to be coming from the area nearest to my right ear when I'm in the driving seat (RHD). It sounds as if a window has been left very slightly open. I've checked the windows but all are tightly shut and I can find no faults in all the door, frame and window seals. The doors seem to be correctly shut with no movement when I press from outside. I did wonder about the roof rails and door mirror but the noise is relatively new. I'd be grateful for comments before I try to convince the dealer that there's a problem. Thanks.

jmagee
B1
Passat model: B8

Re: Wind noise

Post by jmagee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

God I hate noise. Mine has a rattle. They've suggested seat belt tensioner but can't find the rattle to fix it.

I have roofbars on mine so can't help really. Nothing stuck in the rails or sunroof is there?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Re: Wind noise

Post by Mindriot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:39 pm

bertj wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm
My b8 estate seems to have developed a very marked wind noise. It seems to be coming from the area nearest to my right ear when I'm in the driving seat (RHD). It sounds as if a window has been left very slightly open. I've checked the windows but all are tightly shut and I can find no faults in all the door, frame and window seals. The doors seem to be correctly shut with no movement when I press from outside. I did wonder about the roof rails and door mirror but the noise is relatively new. I'd be grateful for comments before I try to convince the dealer that there's a problem. Thanks.
This used to hapen on cars when the corner of the window used to wear through the window rubber seal combined with the rubber ageing.

It could also be a small tear or split in the door rubber, often the cushion part of the seal which is hollow usually.
To be unforgettable is to be unforgivable!

“Amor Fati" – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.