[RECOVERED] - Good Car Polisher

How to get that better-than-new shine - show us your efforts and discuss techniques. Sponsored by BCP Car Detailing BCP Car Detailing

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Max Inc
still on the production line

[RECOVERED] - Good Car Polisher

Post by Max Inc »

MarkP
Im looking to purchase a half decent car polisher just to make my job easier when I do my Meguiars 3 step polish.
Im well aware of the famous Porter Cable random orbital, amazing piece of kit, but its a tad expensive at over £150.
Anyone got any reccommendations(sp?)?

g60dubster
The PC's main ability is to generate enough heat to allow you to remove scratches/swirls etc from the paint.
pretty any old polisher will allow you to put on and remove product with less arm-ache!!
I have a Cosmo cordless polisher (cost about £30) to put product on the car.
This saves getting out the PC, 110v adaptor and extension leads just to apply some polish/wax.

MarkP
Is there no other polisher out there with the same qualities as the Porter Cable for less ££££?

g60dubster
to be blunt, no.
The PC is unique in that it has balancer weights and is a custom designed unit. There are others on the market but they are similar price or more...
You could try one of the units bodyshops use, they tend to be cheaper but there's far greater risk of burning the paint as they tend to be very aggressive with rpm's

MarkP
Thats what I was afraid to hear.
Had to ask though because I have seen other random orbital polishers with variable speed that are cheaper so I wondered what the difference would be.