Full alloy detail - lots of pics

How to get that better-than-new shine - show us your efforts and discuss techniques. Sponsored by BCP Car Detailing BCP Car Detailing

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Nuclear_Tom
B3

Full alloy detail - lots of pics

Post by Nuclear_Tom »

Well, as I'd never even had the wheels off, thought I'd whip them all off today and remove 120k of burnt on brake dust and clean em properly, followed by a couple of coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant to protect them and keep them easier to keep clean. :)

Before:

And one thats covered in grease - and will get splatted more no doubt - ho hum!

First I gave them a good scrub with Megs Gold Class shampoo and a wash mit. Didn't make much of a dent tbh!!! :rofl:

Then out came the Wonder Wheels - this is a product I don't recommend for regular use, but for really stubborn stuff its the dogs danglies. It took a good few goes getting the specs from between the spokes, and the ingrained stuff on the back of the alloys, but it did the business! :) There was a huge amount of burnt brake dust where the alloy meets the hub and going towards the spokes - I removed all of this, but didn't get it all off - after 5 applications of Wonder Wheels, lots of scrubbing and swearing, the last little bits weren't budging - so as they are out of sight, thought it was best to leave them.

Any remaining tar spots and the remains of old wheel weights were removed with AutoGlym tar remover.

I then polished the wheels with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, prepped for the sealant with some Megs Paintwork Cleaner (gets the surface squeaky clean to give a good key for the wax), and then 2 coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

The results are superb - they came up just brilliant!!! :thumbup:

A little AutoGlym tyre dressing (not my favourite product - better are available imho) and a quick rinse of the car, I'm very pleased!!! All of the alloys are pretty much immaculate bar the odd stone chip. One alloy is slightly kerbed - but going to replace it methinks. :)

:)
1997/R BMW 328i in Boston Green

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login