Any auto-electricians in the house - polo 6n help

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

smiffypassat
B6

Any auto-electricians in the house - polo 6n help

Post by smiffypassat »

can any of u guys help us out? i'm pants with electrical fault finding!!

we've got a 1994 polo 1.6 8v that has got problems with the speedo / rev counter? the problem is that they dont work, lol!! all the other instruments work fine

now for the weird bit!! they both work fine if i was to go to the car after a couple of days and start it up, but once i've turned the key that first time they wont work again, at all, for at least a day or so!! can anybody explain this?

another thing i have noticed is that when the ingnition is turned on, the rev counter flickers at 0 and gives off a clicking sound. this wont stop until the ignition is turned off, and then it still carries on for about 5 seconds after the key has come out!!!

after googling it to death it appears to be a faulty earth or faulty gauges, but more than likely to be the voltage regulator in the alternator? i've yet to see what voltage the battery is giving out as a faulty voltage regulator would cause the battery to give off more than 14v ( so google has informed me)

can anybody shed a bit of light on it for me as it will be going in for an mot in the nexr few weeks !!

cheers guys
smiffy
is your mrs into dubs.....then tell her about VOLKSGIRLS.CO.UK

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login