VAG Experts - Van

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Ben Kenobi
B2
Passat model: B6 & B7 Est

VAG Experts - Van

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:23 am

For a week now I've been trying to get a timing belt set up on a 2.5TDi (BJK engine) but no matter what I do the belt is never in the correct zone when the tension is applied. I'll post some pictures later - too much sun out there now for my tastes.

The crank is locked - VAG tool, the cam was set up using feeler gauges and tool 2065a, despite this I can't get the cam timing mark to align when the tension is applied - it is either just ahead or just behind the mark. I ran it yesterday with it in the ahead position and started fine, ran fine but there was a noise I didn't like that wasn't the vacuum pump so I've stripped it again.

I've repeated the timing process countless times now and it never aligns - not even with the original belt.

At my wits end with it - I've done countless timing belts and never had so much trouble with one.

Anyone here ever done a BJK timing belt - any tricks or secrets not in Elsawin.

Ben Kenobi
B2
Passat model: B6 & B7 Est

Re: VAG Experts - Van

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

So these are the only two positions possible - it isn't possible to set the cam gear in any other location - I've tried countless times.

The first is the closest. Since the book says to lock the cam at TDC and then move the gear until it aligns with the mark I did exactly that. Unfortunately the cam is not keyed, the gear is held solely by friction on a taper shaft.

I intend to rotate the engine until the cam marks align, lock the cam in the correct position and then release the gear. I'll then continue to rotate the crank the additional couple of degrees until I can lock the crank and snug up the cam again.

The engine ran fine with the cam gear set as per the first image - it was just noises that I've not heard before that just didn't sound right that made me strip it again. Sorry for the lack of images directly but if I include the img tags the system won't accept the post.

http://www.theplasticshed.co.uk/images/ ... 818sml.jpg

OR

http://www.theplasticshed.co.uk/images/ ... 919sml.jpg