Monkeys mk2 ABF

We dont just cater for passats here , add any help re. any other car and show off your rides!........

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

G60Monkey
still on the production line
Passat model: B5 20vt

Monkeys mk2 ABF

Post by G60Monkey »

Thought I'd give a brief history into my mk2 ABF.

I bought it about a year ago after selling a high power corrado. I had the intent of just tweeking it a little but leaving most of it alone...how best laid plans go wrong! :lol:

It started off like this...

The ABF install was a little dodgy to say the least, but the body was very straight and it was in the colour that I've been after for about 8-9 years! It wasn't long (about 4 days) before a set of Ronal LSs found their way on and I proceeded to use it wherever possible...
At the ring...

And at combe...

Anyway, the Tax ran out in September so I took it off the road for a little TLC...

First off, the head got sent away for some modification

Then I whipped out the engine and subframe to make things like fitting the new oil pump easier..

Once I done that, I decided that a four branch was needed, however, no one seems to make a four branch that'll fit a mk2 with an ABF in it so I'd have to get "custom". First thing I did was to buy a second hand one for a normal 16v. Managed to score one of the bay for a total of £25! I love it when people put "may need welding" in ads. Puts so many other people off! :twisted:

Also, my fully rebuilt head returned!! 8)

I wasted no time in getting the cams back in and back on the block, which I also treated to a new oil pump and a windage tray...

I also made a 240 mile round trid to Plymouth and back to pick up a hydraulic clutch setup. I put one on my other halfs mk2 VR and it was soo much nucer than my old cable clutch! A day later and it was fitted to the car :D

Next was the task of making the fourbranch fit...so back in the engine bay it went!

Then the fourbranch was attached. I spaced up the front mount a little to help with clearance and then measured up what har to be modified...

Then the engine came back out again!

Don't have any pictures of this but I carefully modified the bulkhead by about 5-8mm to give the fourbranch plenty of room. Then I hear wrapped it and put everything back in the bay!

I was very pleased when I started it up as it started straight off the key and idled nicely! However, it wasn't taxed and I wasn't gonna tax it before Feb, so I run it up to temp a few times and finished everything off.

When Feb finally arrived I put tax on it and brought it home...

....Just in time for the snow!

Last week I was made an offer I couldn't refuse on a set of rims...
On these beauties....

I've wanted a set of BBS split rims on and off for the best part of 9 years. :D

Also, the car has been in the unit collecting dust since september, so I thought I'd give it a wash, claybar and finally a polish. However, I didn't have any bumper black to hand so I'll do that next time! :roll:

Lastly I put a red stripe round the new grill, just to finish it off.

Sorry about the length and thanks for looking :D

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login